I get mixed emotions when it’s time to send the kids back to school. Certainly not because I’ll
miss my kids being home all day playing video games and eating everything in sight! A new
school year leaves me feeling a little anxious because it will be time for homework, PTA
meetings, sports and everything else that we do for our kids during the school year. In order to
keep my sanity, here are a few tips that I’ve found helpful during the school year. What
strategies do you use to help your kids have a successful year????
1. Attend open house- get to know your child’s teachers.
2. Start an after school routine. Allow kids a break when arriving home from school. Then
set a time to start homework.
3. Be an Advocate! You are your child’s biggest supporter.
4. Access your school’s reporting tools. Schools use tools, such as Powerschool, Google
Classroom, Remind Me, Imodo, etc. to publish grades, homework assignments and
school communications. Get access to these tools and check them often.
5. If your child is struggling, don’t wait, find a solution. School counselors are a great
6. Spend time reviewing math and reading skills with your child in the summer. This will
ensure a good start to the next school year.
7. Start a reward system. Set school year goals and reward kids for meeting those goals.
8. Communicate! Communicate! Communicate! I can’t say enough. Keeping an open line
of communication with the school staff is one of the most important ways to ensure
Have a Great School Year!!